Saturday, November 22, 2014

Response to "Praise to the man even with 40 wives and teenage brides"

In response to the article " Praise to the man even with 40 wives and teenage brides"

I grew up in the Church. I lived in Utah and was baptized at age 8. Both sides of my family were active, Latter-day Saint familes. I attended church weekly for as long as I can remember. When my grandparents were in Japan, my mom was ill, and it was the off weekend for my dad (part custody) I rode my bicycle to church by myself as a child. In the homes I grew up in we read scriptures often, prayed often, watched general conference semiannualy, read the Ensign, and believed wholeheartedly in the principles, doctrines, and events of the Restoration. I wad ordained to the Aaronic Priesthood. I attended mutual, participated in young men's and Scouting, and was regularly tutored and taught by leaders. I attended Sunday school weekly. I collected fast offerings with the deacons, teachers, and priests monthly. As I grew older, I attended seminary. Two teachers made me co-president of their classes. I paid tithing and fast offerings faithfully. I read the scriptures and prayed often. I fasted almost monthly. My testimony burned within me. I was the first assistant in my priest's quorum. I graduated seminary with a four-year diploma. I read the Book of Mormon from cover to cover. I was ordained to the Melchizedek Priesthood. I attended Institute weekly and also attended missionary and temple preparation classes. I was endowed in the Salt Lake Temple. I was called as a missionary and set apart. Then I was trained in the MTC. Off I went for my mission. And yet, after all this extraordinary and faithful preparation, I learned the following fundamental aspects of Mormonism on my mission:

1. The RLDS Church exists.
2. Emma Smith was lifelong RLDS.
3. Joseph Smith was survived by his eldest son who founded the RLDS Church.
4. Joseph Smith was smuggled a gun in Carthage Jail and shot at attackers.
5. Joseph issued a Masonic distress call before being killed.
6. Joseph was a Master Mason. What's that.
7. The Book of Mormon has undergone changes more than spelling, versification, and punctuation.
8. Many Mormons sincerely believe God and Mary had sexual relations to bring about the baby Jesus.
9. Gays are born gay.
10. The temple endowment used to include blood oaths and require women to be more submissive.
11. The endowment used to include a covenant to avenge the death of Joseph Smith.
12. Joseph did not transmit the Book of Mormon from gold plates as depicted in Preach My Gospel. He used a stone in a hat.

Not to mention, I didn't even learn that Emma was not Joseph's only wife until listening to Mormon Stories Podcast two years after my mission. The Restoration video I had shown investigators clearly depicts Emma being Joseph's only wife.

All this begs the question (in response to the article "Praise to the man even with 40 wives and teenage brides"): How was this information not hidden from me before I was commissioned to go out and convert people?

1 comment:

  1. Austin,
    Clearly you should have had the foresight as a 12-year old to ride your bike across the state to BYU, learn how to do college-level research, and find out about all this from the books in the BYU library.

    /sarcasm

    ReplyDelete